YMCA School Age Programs offer before and after school fun and learning during the school year and full day programming during the summer months. Incorporating the latest research in youth development, the YMCA of the USA has developed a unique program model for grades K-5 that combines fun with learning and exploration. The careful balance between social time, educational activities, and physical activities makes the YMCA so much more than "just after school child care.”
Hours of Operation:
- School Year: Afternoon Bell – 6:00pm
- Summer: 6:30am – 6:00pm
- 25+ Convenient Locations- find one close to you!
- On-site supervisor is a certified teacher or has degree in related field
- Dedicated, experienced and caring leaders trained to work with school age children
- Nutritious breakfasts, lunches and snacks are provided
- Homework Club, special projects, outside play (weather permitting) and gym/physical activities
- Enrichment Activities in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math
- Swimming and field trips (offered occasionally)
- Free time to socialize and play with friends
- Combination of supervised group play and self-directed activities
- Enrolled child care participants receive member rates on all YMCA programs (like swimming lessons, basketball, and more)!
School Age Learning Center Site Directory
Looking for site addresses? Need contact information for a specific School Age Learning Center, or a specific Site Coordinator? Check out the Child Care Site Listing below for the names and addresses of ALL YMCA Child Care sites, including Early Learning sites!
- Children share lunch and snack family style with their peers to promote social skills and using manners.
- Children can freely explore interests with friends in our many learning centers, from Art and Makerspace to Science and Math.
- Whether it is playing on the playground or an organized game in the gym, children are physically active every day!
- Our signature Explore Zone activity time provides children hands-on learning opportunities to conduct science experiments, complete art projects, develop their talents, and explore their interests in many hands-on activities.
- Children are encouraged to find and use their strengths. Character development inspires kids to become ethical, responsible citizens through engaging conversations and activities.
- Quality literature is shared through group reading, buddy reading, and individual reading time.
School Out Days
When school is out, the Y is open! Join us for School Out Days at our School Age Learning Centers! Each school-out day is packed with activities that will keep minds sharp and bodies moving. Kids will unplug from technology, engage in fun activities, stay active, and socialize with friends.
In the School Age Program, kids love using their hands along with their brains to take our daily plans to the next level. Along with physical games and activities outside and in the gym, we also allow children to choose their focus each day in activity areas like arts and crafts, music and drama, science, technology, math, reading, and more. We strive to make every child knowledgeable on our core values — caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and health — through character development lessons and role modeling.
When your child enrolls in a YMCA child care program, you will receive an enrollment packet to fill out. Along with the paperwork, you will need to provide a copy of your child’s immunization record, copy of your child’s birth certificate, and medical insurance information. Please contact a School Age Director to obtain an enrollment packet. To get started, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The YMCA provides scholarships to families who are in need. Visit our Financial Assistance page for more information on how to apply.